The official Mu servers are free to play (F2P) with very limited support. For additional support, events and better service there is a requirement to subscribe to the pay server. WebZen sold the rights to Mu Global to K2 Network for USD$2,000,000 around late 2005. K2N promised better service, more and faster servers, improved gameplay and an improved community. The servers officially opened on February 17, 2006 and the beta test period ended on April 21, when the servers were commercially released.
In April 2006, K2 officially announced the pay to play (P2P) plans.  There would be two versions of the game -- one free-to-play and the other pay-to-play. The pay-to-play server would have better service, features, maps, and events. The P2P server, called Valhalla, had better experience and better drops, but didn't receive the acclaim K2 expected, since many players would have been forced to abandon their in-game communities and guilds.
Realizing this, during October 2006, K2 officially announced their new soon-to-be setup of all the servers.
- Realm Changes
Wigle, Maya and Valhalla were transformed into a newly formed set of realms. Global MU Online now features two realms, Helheim and Midgard, both with exactly the same features as the former realms. Both realms will have events running, both will have Castle Siege running, and both will be receiving the upcoming Cry Wolf patch (and all subsequent updates). Both realms have a group of servers for each type of membership (see server structure below).
A third "realm" will be known as GMO Express. This single server realm will be available to players who are on P2P accounts, and it will feature accelerated experience, higher drop rates, and player resets.
- Server Structure
Initially, Midgard and Helheim started with 9 servers each. The first three servers of each realm were to be FTP, the next three, 4-6, were P2P standard, while the last three, 7-9, were P2P+ Premium. Many players chose the premium membership, so the last servers soon became crowded, and K2 had to add more servers to the Premium services. the standard P2P services were not as popular, so they limited that service to servers 4 and 5 in each realm.
Midgard holds now twelve servers and Helheim holds fourteen, because more players have chosen Helheim over Midgard. Of the servers on each realm, the first three servers are F2P. The next two servers, servers 4-5, are P2P standard (Silver Membership). The rest of the servers are P2P+ (Gold Membership). If you are a P2P+ member, you have access to all other servers. If you are P2P standard, you have access to the first five servers. This means you can get good items in P2p and P2P+ servers and sell them in the F2P servers. All P2P servers are free to accounts containing only characters below level 60, as a sort of trial.
- GMO Express
GMO Express will feature 300x experience rate, 2.5x drop rate, it will have new content and it will feature player resets when you hit 400. However, there will be absolutely no character transfers from GMO Express to the normal servers, or vice versa. Resets are only on this server. This is intended to avoid players from going to private servers to test fast experience.
- Gold Membership
Gold members get access to servers 6 and above, which feature 3x experience, a 2x drop rate, monsters with 10% less HP than normal, MM events, Castle Siege, new content as it is ready, White Wizard invasions 10 times a day, Golden Invasion 6 times a day, Customer Support and Access to GMO Express and Test servers. Additionally, P2P+ members get new maps and content released 4 weeks before it is available to F2P.
- Silver Membership
Silver servers feature 2x experience, a 1.5x drop rate, monsters with 5% less HP than normal, MM events, Castle Siege events, new content as it is ready, White Wizard 7 times a day, Golden Invasion 4 times a day, Customer Support and Access to GMO Express and Test servers. P2P standard members get new maps and content 2 weeks before it is available to F2P.
F2P members get normal experience, normal item drops, monsters with regular HP, no MM events, no Castle Siege events, Golden Invasion 2 times a day, and no Customer Support. F2P members do not get access to Test Server. F2P members get new content 4 weeks after P2P+ receives it.
A pricing plan is currently implemented for the membership levels.
F2P is still free, as always. Silver costs $5 USD a month. Gold costs $8 USD a month.
Mu Online tells that the continent of Mu, once ruled by great emperors, has fallen into wars between its many feudal lords. Antonidas, one of these lords, was deceived to bring a terrible demon onto the continent. All of the lords were killed, and without any successive ruler, the continent's hope now remains with adventurers, that they may join their forces, defeat the demon, and restore peace to the continent.
As with many MMORPGs you select a character and fight monsters to gain experience. MU is populated by a large variety of monsters, from simple ones like goblins to frightening ones such as the Elite Yeti or Gorgon. Each monster-type is unique, has different spawn points, and drops different items. For more information regarding monster types and descriptions, refer to the Official Global Webpage.
- Outlaws and Heroes
Outside of a duel, PvP fighting is possible but discouraged. When one player attacks another, a self-defense system is activated, in which the attacked player may kill the aggressor within a time limit. Self-defense is also activated when a player attacks an Elf's summoned creature. If one player kills another without Self-defense active, he/she becomes an Outlaw, more commonly known in-game as "Player Killer" or PK. Outlaws have disadvantages during game play, depending on his Outlaw level.
- Outlaw Warning: A normal player assumes this level after killing another without Self-defense. The character’s name becomes orange, there is a 1/8 chance that you will drop items when killed, and lose extra experience when killed by a mob. If attacked, you will still have Self-defense. If you kill another person within 3 hours of gaining this status, you will advance to Outlaw 1st Stage; otherwise, you will go back to normal.
- Outlaw 1st Stage: On this level the character’s name becomes red. The chance of dropping items upon death is 1/4, players can attack you without activating Self-defense, the Guards attack you, and you will lose even more experience when you die from a monster. Also, the Non-player character shops will refuse to sell any items to you. If three hours pass without a kill, you drop to Outlaw Warning, but another kill within that period advances you to Outlaw 2nd Stage.
- Outlaw 2nd Stage (Murderers): On this level the chance of dropping items at death is 50% and lose a substantial amount of experience when killed by a monster. You are also unable to warp. Players can target you as if you were a monster, and without activating Self-defense. This stage is dangerous as there is an incentive for players to become Heroes.
A stage 2 Outlaw becomes almost totally black in color, and his wings, shield and weapon(s) (if any) become a crimson red color. As soon as this stage is reached, 3 hours have to pass before you revert to 1st Stage, and the timer increases by 3 hours for every additional person you kill. Rumor has it the maximum time limit is 99 hours, although this is not confirmed. When the timer reaches 0, you revert to Outlaw 1st Stage.
To clear Outlaw status, the character must wait a significant amount of time without killing other players. The wait can be shortened by killing large number of monsters, which is generally done in one of the servers that does not permit PvP attacks, to avoid being attacked by another person. The amount of time reduced from the outlaw penalty is equal to the monster's level in seconds, and depending on the number of monsters killed, the penalty time may be dramatically decreased. Rumor has it that sitting in the church in Devias cuts waiting time, but it's not confirmed and it's generally preferred to kill monsters.
- Hero: A Hero is a character that has killed three or more 2nd Stage Outlaws since logging into the account. The Heroes have a 1/32 chance of dropping items at death and will lose less experience when killed by a mob. The Hero status clears in one hour, though the timer is reset back to one hour after every PK killed. To become a Hero, you must kill three 2nd Stage Outlaws without letting them hit you. If Self-Defense activates, the kill doesn't count to become a Hero. There are many rumors revolving around Hero status, such as increased chance of success for a Chaos Machine combination or increased chance of getting three stat points from a fruit.
Note that the chance of dropping an item at death only applies when killed by a monster, a Guard, a Hero or a Commoner. Also, items that cannot be thrown to the floor, such as wings, items +5 or above and excellent items will never drop at death.
- Character Stats
Every character has four basic statistics: Strength, Agility, Vitality, and Energy. When you gain enough experience points and level up, you can distribute 5 points freely among these stats. Magic Gladiator and Dark Lord characters gain 7 points instead of 5.
- Strength - This is a character's physical strength. The more invested in this stat, the more damage dealt when striking with a melee weapon and the less chance of missing an enemy. Higher strength allows a character to equip stronger armor and weapons.
- Agility - This measures a character's dexterity. Agility increases a character's hitting accuracy, attack speed, defense and evade rate (known in the game as defense rate). While Strength determines melee damage, Agility determines damage from a Bow or Crossbow. Some weapons and equipment require large numbers of Agility points, and every piece of Elf armor requires some.
- Vitality - This is a character's toughness. Vitality gives a character extra HP so that it can survive more damaging hits.
- Energy - This is a character's capability to use skills and spells. Dark Wizards and Energy Elves need large amounts of Energy to learn new spells, while Dark Knights mainly require it to use their weapon skills more often. Investing points in Energy increases maximum mana, mana recharging rate and "AG" as well as increasing the damage that a skill does.
- Command – This is a special stat that only Dark Lords have. It measures the ability a Dark Lord has to handle the pets of nature. By increasing command, a Dark Lord may learn new spells apart from Fireburst. A Dark Lord that has raised a lot of command can also hold the maximum capacity of 80 guild members if he's a Guild Master.
At the start of the game the players can chose between three different character classes. Each class has its specific powers and items, making no class truly "better" than the other, and all three are typically used to their fullest extent when grouped together. Later on in the game, the player can create special characters only accessible to players who have reached certain levels.
- Dark Knight (DK)
- The Dark Knight, shortened DK, is the most popular character, most likely because of its focus on pure physical combat. Dark Knights have naturally high HP, great weapons, and the best armor. This makes them well-equipped to be the primary attacker in a party, and coupled with the "buff" of an Elf, is a mighty force indeed. Lower level DKs generally apply their stat points as they "level up" to Strength with some stat points applied to Agility. Strength is a very important stat to them because it helps them with their attack and their equipment.
- Blade Knight (BK)
- After completing the game’s first quest, the Dark Knights are promoted to Blade Knights, which have stronger stats and are able to use greater weapons and armor than those of Dark Knights. They can also learn new skills a Dark Knight can't learn, such as Death Stab (need level 160). Also notice the character's change of hair from black to blond and long sleeves and pants.
- Dark Wizard (DW)
- The Dark Wizard specializes in offensive magic and can kill from a distance. Although able to handle some weapons used by Dark Knights, the Dark Wizard's weak armor and slow growth in "strength" makes this impractical. Instead, they wield magical staffs, which increase the offensive power of their spells. A well-developed Dark Wizard can grow to become an SM and cause massive damage with the "Nova" spell, hitting with over 5000 points of damage, far higher than most Dark Knights can achieve. Dark Wizards, however, have the least defensive power available to any of the other classes, which makes physical combat difficult for any level. They are useful in parties, however, being able to hit from a distance with powerful spells. Lower level DWs must make a difficult choice in applying stat points: they need to grow their Energy stats in order to cast higher level spells, but need sufficient Strength in order to wield more powerful staffs and wear higher level armor.
- Soul Master (SM)
- After completing the game’s first quest, the Dark Wizards are promoted to Soul Masters, who can use mighty and awe inspiring spells, and can equip better armor. Also notice the character's change has longer silver hair and long sleeves.
- Fairy Elf (FE or just Elf)
- Elves specialize in long-ranged combat and defensive magic. Because of the lack of synergy between their fighting and magical skills, they have been developed over time into two separate playing styles, not acknowledged by the game itself but by the players. The "Agility Elf (AE)" focuses her stats on Agility and Strength, in that order. This allows them to use the strongest bows and crossbows, and cause great amounts of damage out of harm's way. Because of their ability to attack far away from an enemy's melee attack, and a much higher defense (evade) rate, Agility Elves are great at fighting by themselves, but are also included in parties for that extra bit of damage. The "Energy Elf (EE)", focus her attention on the Energy stat, allowing them to use monster summons and three brands of defensive spell: "Heal", "Greater Defense" and "Greater Damage" (the latter two known as "aura" and "buff", respectively, although "buff" may apply to both), but in Asian servers buffs and auras are mostly known as "++" These three spells make them invaluable to a party, allowing the top attacking players to cause more damage and receive less, and allowing lower level characters to resist attacks from strong mobs. Some players combine both styles, naming themselves "Hybrid Elves." She will have a high Agility in order to equip strong weapons and kill by herself, but also a greater Energy stat to make herself useful in parties. Hybrids are not very popular because their buff is never as good as an EE's, and they're not as powerful as an AE. However, many AE's spend some points in Energy to gain extra Mana and AG, and to fully make use of the raised energy, they learn the corresponding buffs if applicable, and tend to be confused as Hybrids.
- Muse Elf (ME)
- After finishing the game’s first quest, the Elves are promoted to Muse Elves, who are stronger and can use more powerful armor and weapons. Generally the more powerful armor and weapons are used by AE's, because EE's focus their stat points towards Energy. Notice the change from a brunette ponytail to long blond hair.
- Magic Gladiator (MG)
- The Magic Gladiator is a combination of DK and DW, and can be unlocked as a new class when your character reaches level 220. He cannot wear a helm, and has three sets of class specific armor (Hurricane, Storm Crow, and Thunder Hawk) though he can also wear the armor of a DK (up to Dragon) or DW (but not those of a BK or SM). The Magic Gladiator can run without the need of +5 boots, and swim faster without the need of +5 gloves. Following the example set by Elves, Magic Gladiators tend to split into two groups, focusing on either magical prowess or physical might. MGs receive 7 stat points per level, as opposed to the 5 gained by the three other classes.
- Dark Lord (DL)
- The Dark Lord is a fabled class. It can be created when your character reaches level 250. A Dark Lord's power is formidable, his spells can score a high amount of damage, and has the ability to control pets. Dark Lords also receive 7 stat points per level, and have the ability to swim faster/run without the need of +5 boots and gloves, just as the MG. Dark Lords tend to split in two groups: Strength DL, which focuses on power, and Command DL, which focuses on using pets, leading parties and usually leading a Guild.
Spells and Skills
Like most RPG games, characters in MU can use many different kinds of magic and special abilities. Each character has its own set of spells and some weapons may be enchanted in order to provide the character with a specific spell. Casting a spell costs MP (mana, or magic point) and sometimes AG.
- Dark Knight Skills
A DK has the following character skills: Twisting Slash Skill, Impaling Skill (can only be used when riding a mount unit while wielding a spear weapon), Greater Fortitude, Death Stab, Rageful Blow, Combo Skill, and Raid (which can only be used when riding on a dinorant). There is only one shield skill that can be used called Defend. Dark Knight weapon skills include Hacking, Cyclone, Stabbing, Uppercut, and Slash.
- Dark Wizards Spells
DWs have the largest repository of spells of any character. These are Energy Ball, Fire Ball, Power Wave, Lightning, Teleport, Meteorite, Ice, Poison, Flame, Twister, Evil Spirit, Hell Fire, Aqua Beam, Blast/Cometfall, Soul Barrier and Inferno. Once a Dark Wizard has completed the class change quest and become a Soul Master, they are able to learn more spells. These are Mass Teleport, Decay, Ice Storm, and Nova.
- Elf Skills
Depending on the playing style chosen by the player, elves may learn different types of skills. All elves may learn the Penetration skill at level 130, independently of the playing style. Agility Elves learn the very damaging Ice Arrow spell, which requires over 600 agility points. Energy Elves are able to learn a number of spells that affect other characters in the party. These are Heal, Greater Defense, and Greater Damage. They are also able to summon monsters to help fight for them. They are able to summon a Goblin, Golem, Assassin, Elite Yeti, Dark Knight, Bali (Vali), or a Soldier. Only one monster can be summoned at a time, and when summoning a new monster the previous monster is unsummoned. Bows and crossbows can come with the Triple-Shot skill.
- Magic Gladiator Spells
Magic Gladiators can use all available Dark Wizard spells except for Energy Ball (the default Dark Wizard skill), Teleport, Soul Barrier, Mass Teleport, Decay, Ice Storm and Nova. Also they can use Impale, Twisting Slash and weapon skills. Strength MGs can also use a power slash skill given to them by three swords only. One is the Rune Blade, another is the Dark Reign Blade, and the newest one is called either Mythos Sword or Explosion Blade which unleashes five orbs that resembles the effect of an Elf's triple shot skill. Strength MGs can use a fireslash skill, which does high damage and can cause a fire status effect that lowers the targets defense.
- Dark Lord Spells
The Dark Lord can learn powerful spells from scrolls. These spells are fireburst, critical damage, electric spark, and summon. Fireburst is the most commonly used spell due to its range and high damage. A DL also has an innate spell called force, and can wear a scepter+skill to transform it into a stronger force wave spell. Dark Lords can also use weapon skills normally used by DKs.
There are many maps in this game. The beginning maps are Noria, where elves begin, and Lorencia, where all other classes begin.
NOTE: Map restrictions by level on Magic Gladiators and Dark Lords are cut by one third.
Noria - Noria is located east of Lorencia. This is the elves’ city where the Fairy Elves start the game. Always bathed in a bright sunshine, Noria is considered the most beautiful land mass on the continent. On the center of Noria is the Chaos Machine, which is used to combine items and jewels needed to create powerful items used by the high level characters. Characters other than Fairy Elves need level 10 to visit Noria.
Lorencia - Lorencia is a city located on the plains on the center of Mu. The Dark Knights, Dark Wizards, Magic Gladiators and Dark Lords start their careers here. This is the easiest map on the game, suitable for low-level training until they can reach the perilous lands of Devias and Dungeon. This city also is the main trading center on the game, and often you’ll find characters on the market square selling their items. Elves that wish to visit Lorencia must reach level 10 first. The entrance to Noria is located in the eastern corner of Lorencia, with the entrance to the Dungeon located slightly further north. The entrance to Davias is located on the north western edge of the map.
Devias or (Davias) - The land of Devias, to the north of Lorencia, is a land covered with a perpetual snow. This land has stronger monsters than Noria and Lorencia, so only characters over level 15 can enter. It’s the favorite town to high level characters, as it has monsters that suit their training needs.
The Dungeon - Long before Kundun’s arrival the Dungeon was used as a jail. However when the feudal wars began, Dungeon was abandoned, and when Kundun arrived it was occupied by him as an outpost from where he can send monsters to attack Lorencia. Kundun set one of his most faithful servants, Gorgon, to control it. The Dungeon is a three-story cave, becoming increasingly difficult with every floor, with Gorgon on the deepest room. One of Dungeon's particular traits is the amount of traps located on the ground and walls. Always be very careful when walking around Dungeon.
The Lost Tower - The Lost Tower used to be a shrine dedicated to life, however it was invaded by Kundun and has been cursed. Now the seven story tower is dark, and the most dangerous creatures of the land are in it. On the seventh floor is Balrog, which is one of the strongest creatures on the land. There are many ground traps in this map, which unleash a barrage of meteorites that hit every person on-screen. People usually form groups while fighting in here. Requires level 80 to enter.
Atlans - Atlans is the sea to the east of Noria. When Kundun arose, his ancient servant, Hydra, had fled to these seas, carrying one of the pieces of the Sealing Stone. This is one of the best training maps for mid-level characters, and it requires level 60 to enter. Since the area is underwater the players swim instead of walk, and they can’t enter with a mount.
Tarkan - This is a desert to the north of Atlans. This is the best map for high levels to train in. Tarkan, meaning “Desert of Death," is ridden with some of the strongest monsters found on the continent of Mu. Within Tarkan are two powerful monsters, the Zaikan and Death Beam Knight. Requires level 130 to enter.
Icarus - This map is based on the skies above Mu. The strongest monsters on the game are found on this place. Only people that can fly using wings or with a Dinorant mount can enter. One of the strongest monsters, Phoenix of Darkness, is on the highest cloud, and is hard to defeat.
Kalima - On this map are ruins that are ravaged by a strong water current. It is an event location, so it's divided into several difficulty levels ranging from 1 to 6 with character level limitations. At the end of the map, which resembles a corridor in shape, is a monster named "Illusion of Kundun", who is very powerful. However, at the end of the map on level 6 is Kundun himself, the strongest monster so far.
Valley of Loren - A map in which Castle Siege is held, but private servers can allow visitations if they do not allow Castle Siege events. For more info see Valley of Loren.
Land of Trials - A land reserved to the owning guild of the castle on Valley of Loren from winning the Castle Siege. The owning guild's master may choose to either block other people (so they have an exclusive training area without Kill Stealing and with very good drops) or charge players an amount fee to enter. It has recently opened on Global Servers.
Arena or Stadium - Should two guilds be at war they can reason their fights playing 'MU Battle Soccer' in the arena, where both killing the adversaries and scoring goals renders the guild points. Other players may watch the game if they want. The arena is usually used for repotting because of its easy access to the Stadium Guard who sells potions.
Aida - The grassy lowlands of MU, it is like her sister map Noria but much bigger and beautiful, it is extensive and holds one of the strongest monsters in the game.
Crywolf - The Crywolf map can be entered through the Valley of Loren. It is an event map where characters must protect a statue while also fighting off powerful monsters, including the boss Balgass. -- in private servers Crywolf is one of those maps that are incredulous, and hard to go in most especially it contains the strongest monsters in the game.
Kanturu - New map that comes with the season 2. Can be entered through Tarkan. As Crywolf, this map is only for events. It isn't avaible in Global Mu Online.
The availability of different types of items on MU is considered the most interesting feature of the game. Besides the normal item variety, items may contain special bonuses that are assigned almost randomly. Creating a 'perfect' item within the game is almost impossible. Since items can be so different, it's quite common to have your own custom armor.
- Item Level
The item can have different levels ranging from 0 to 13 on the global servers and often going further on other servers. The item will change colors or even glow depending on its level. While a higher level item is stronger than a lower level item, it will also require more strength and agility to be used.
Example: Bill of Balrog +4, Elven Bow +2, etc.
- Level 0, 1 and 2 items won't glow. These items appear plain and dull.
- Level 3 and 4 items are tinted red. These items are common.
- Level 5 and 6 items are tinted blue. Some weak items drop at levels 5 and 6. Greater items must be upgraded to these levels and beyond with jewels, although some can be acquired from boxes.
- Level 7 and 8 items glow slightly. You can only obtain one of these through upgrading or trading.
- Level 9, 10, and 11 items glow strongly. Level 11 items usually have an occasional shine of a second color to distinguish them from level 9 and 10 items.
- Level 12 and 13 items glow like +9 to +11, but it has a quick white flash every 5 seconds.
- Level 14 item glows like +13
- Level 15 items turn into an invisible reddish object
If the character wears a full set of the same armor, extra effects will be bestowed upon the character. A set with only level 10 or higher items will make small lights will fly around the character when he stands still and gives a 5% total defense boost. A set with level 11 or higher items only will add lines of energy circling around the character giving a 10% defense boost. At level 12 and 13, the lines will become an aura around the character and give a 15% and 20% boost.
- Item Bonuses
Items may randomly have bonuses attached to them. They are commonly known as options throughout the game. These bonuses make the item stronger. These bonuses, similarly to an item's level, can be increased using a Jewel of Life. The levels range in increments of 4 (ex. +4,+8, +12, +16, and 32) on armor and swords, and increments of (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30) on shields. The maximum bonus on an armor or weapon piece is +16 (on regular MU ONLINE) or +32 (on private servers), or (+20 on regular MU ONLINE) or +32 (on private servers) defense rate on a shield.
Example: Bill of Balrog +4+8, Elven bow +0+12
- Weapons: The bonus increases damage.
- Armor: The bonus increases defense, which will cause your character to take less damage from an enemies attack.
- Shields: The bonus increases the defense rate, which affects the probability of the character being hit by an enemy.
Luck Items - when an item has luck, it makes Jewels of Soul have a 75% chance of working, and in chaos machine it gives it a 75% chance to going to lvl 10, 11, 12, and 13. If an item doesn't have luck, it will only have a 50% chance with Jewel of Soul, and in chaos machine it only has a 45% chance of working to +10, 11, 12, and 13. Most importantly in combat a +luck gives the opportunity of 5% critical damage for each +luck item you have you are currently wearing
Excellent Items - Very special and rare items that can give an extra and powerful boost to your items. An excellent item will glow the colors of a rainbow, and its text will appear in a fluorescent green color. An excellent item will have additional properties which vary from increasing total mana, to increasing overall damage. An excellent item can also increase in level, have a luck option, and have a bonus option just like normal items. Excellent weapons and armors have different bonuses. Pendants are classed with weapons, and rings are classed with armors. Before the item's normal name is the word "excellent."
Example: Excellent Elven Bow.
Regular excellent items can have one or two excellent options.
The bonuses for excellent weapons are:
- Excellent damage rate +10%
- Increase (wizardry) dmg +level/20
- Increase (wizardry) dmg +2%
- Increase attacking (wizardry) speed +7
- Increase life after monster + life/8
- Increase mana after monster + mana/8
and for excellent armor & shields:
- Defense success rate +10%
- Reflect damage +5%
- Damage decrease +4%
- Increase HP +4%
- Increase mana +4%
- Increase zen after hunt +40%
Ancient Items - Even more rare than excellent items. These items have their defense/damage values increased beyond the levels of excellent items. Ancient items are characterised with text the same color as excellent items and a blue background behind the text. A blue glow will appear around the outside of these items. Each set has a different ancient metal and unlocks different options. The item carries the prefix of the appropriate ancient metal, for example, Apollo Pad Pants or Heras Skull Shield. Along with the same options as excellent items, ancient items can additionally have the following "set" options that are only applied when your character is wearing more than one ancient item. The options are unique to each set. For example, a Gaion Storm Crow set has the following options:
- Ignore enemy defense 5%
- Double DMG rate 15%
- Increase skill dmg +15
- Excellent DMG rate 15%
- Increase excellent DMG +30
- Increase wizardry damage +10%
- Increase strength +30
while an Argo Spirit Set has the following options:
- Increase attacking skill+25
- Double DMG rate 5%
These are the armor sets that are used by the characters. The sets are made of Boots, Gloves, Pants, Armor and Helm. The Magic Gladiator cannot wear a helm so its sets do not include helms, therefore giving this character class a disadvantage. The armor a character is wearing provides an easy way to guess a character's experience and overall power. Some higher level characters who are not able to afford more expensive armors may be mistaken for a low level. Wearing a complete set of armor where all the pieces come from the same armor set gives a bonus to defense rate equal to 10% of total defense.
The sets that a Dark Knight can wear are called the Leather, Bronze, Scale, Brass, Plate, Dragon and Black Dragon, once a Dark Knight has completed the class change quest and become a Blade Knight, he is able to wear new sets of armor like Dark Phoenix, Great Dragon and Dragon Knight. Dark Wizards are able to wear the Pad, Bone, Sphinx and Legendary sets. Once they become Soul Masters they can also wear the Grand Soul, Dark Soul and Venom Mist. Elves can wear the Vine, Silk, Wind, Spirit and Guardian sets. Once they become Muse Elves they can also wear the Divine, Red Spirit and Sylpid Ray.
Magic Gladiator are a special class that can wear any of the Dark Knight and Dark Wizard sets. However they cannot wear any of the Blade Knight or Soul Master sets, nor the DK's Black Dragon set. Since they can't have the complete set because of the inability to wear a helmet, they don't gain any bonuses in Defense or Defense Rate. To make up for this they are given their own sets that other classes cant wear. These are called the Storm Crow, Thunder Hawk, Hurricane and Volcano.
Like the Magic Gladiator, the Dark Lord can also wear some of the Dark Knight armor: the Leather, Bronze and Scale sets, on certain private servers they can also wear Dark Wizard armor: Pad Set, Bone Set, Sphinx Set, Legendary Set. However, they are also given their own unique sets. These are named the Light Plate, Adamantine, Dark Steel, Dark Master and Sunlight.
Swords can be either one-handed or two-handed. They come with a variety of skills including Uppercut, Hacking Skill, Stabbing Skill, Cyclone and Slash. Swords are usable by Dark Knights and Magic Gladiators. the blade, double blade, and short sword can be used by any class with exception of dark lord but are typicaly used by dark knights simply because of required strenght
The Axes are like swords, but they are stronger and attack more slowly. They are usually two-handed. The strongest Dark Knight axe is the Chaos Dragon Axe. It is the strongest weapon for Dark Knights, although they get better weapons when becoming Blade Knights. elves also have elven axes
- Blunt Weapons
These are heavy and strong, made to crush bones, but are very slow. They are used mainly by Dark Knights, but the Elemental Mace can be used by elves and is usually accompanied by an Elemental Shield.
Bows and crossbows are the weapons only Elves may wear. The bow must be placed in the left-hand equipment slot, while the arrows must be place in the right-hand one. If an Elf runs out of arrows, she will be unable to attack. Any bows can have the Triple Shot skill. ( elves can use other weapons besides bows, but bows are the most common)
Crossbows, as with bows, can only be equipped by elves. They are similar to bows. The ammunition type they require are bolts. These can also come with the Triple Shot skill. The crossbow must go in the right-hand slot and the bolts in the left-hand slot.
- Spears and Scythes
These are powerful two-handed weapons that usually combine power and speed. They are very popular, and usually require less strength and more agility. Elves may also use these, but they won't be very strong with them. Only weapons of this class can have the Impaling skill. You can tell whether a weapon is a spear or not (thus Impale-compatible) by looking at your character hold the weapon. If the character holds the weapon diagonally, it is a spear.
The staffs in Mu aren't very strong for physical attacks, but instead they increase the power of the spells cast. These can only be equipped by Dark Wizards and Magic Gladiators.
Shields can be used by any character class, although some are designed specifically for one class only. The Grand Soul Shield, for example, is the best shield that a Dark Wizard can wear and is worn with a one-handed staff. There are also Elf-specific shields that are worn with an Elven Axe or Elemental Mace. The only skill they can come with is the defense skill.
These weapons can only be wielded by Dark Lords. They tend to have more inherent speed than most one-handed weapons and may increase a pet's damage.
Wings provide a powerful increase in damage and decrease in damage received for a character, and also allow you to tell that a character is over level 180. Wings allow a character to hover over the ground instead of walking, and are faster than walking or running. They may have options attached, such as Automatic HP Recovery, and they also allow entrace into Icarus. To use first stage wings, the character must be level 180 or higher. Second stage wings require a minimum of level 215, making them reserved to the most dedicated players. They are manufactured in the Chaos Machine, and each class has its own type of wings:
- Satan Wings (for Dark Knights & Magic Gladiators)
- Heaven Wings (for Dark Wizards & Magic Gladiators)
- Fairy Wings (for Elves)
- Devil Wings (for Blade Knights)
- Soul Wings (for Soul Masters)
- Holy Spirit Wings (for Muse Elves)
- Wings of Darkness (for Magic Gladiators)
- Cape of Dark Lord (for Dark Lords)
Magic Gladiators are also able to wear Dark Knight and Dark Wizard wings, but not Blade Knight or Soul Master wings.
Rings and Pendants
These items provide resistance towards certain status effects, but can also provide HP recovery, mana increase and AG (stamina) increase through options. Rings and Necklaces/Pendants aren't stackable when it comes to elemental resistance, so if a character is wearing two or more of the same type, only the highest level one will be counted. However, any options such as recovery rate and excellent options are stackable.
- Pendants – These items protect your character against certain elements that come from monster attack. A character can wear only one pendant at a time. Excellent pendants may have one or more weapon-type options.
- Rings - There are three types of rings -- regular rings, which work just like pendants, Transformation Rings and Rings of Wizard. Transformation Rings transform your character into a monster, and you appear exactly the same as they do (including the attacking animations), only your name is still displayed over your head. The Ring of Wizard is a special drop gotten during White Wizard Invasions, which increases damage and attack speed, only one can be carried by a character at a time, and cannot be repaired. A character can wear two rings at a time. Excellent rings may have one or more armor-type options.
You can equip guardians to give your character a boost during battle. However they aren't cheap and they are disposable items. They have 255 HP when they are picked up, and taking damage will lower their health values, although the amount of damage they receive depends on your character's defense.
- Angel - Increases your max HP by 50 points. Absorbs 20% damage received.
- Imp - Increases your attack by 30%. Your character loses 3 HP every time you score a hit.
- Unillia - Increases your defense rate by 30% (you dodge attacks more easily), and also makes you move at the same speed you would when running. It is a mount unit, so you can use the Impale Skill while on it, but you may not enter Atlans or Icarus while riding it.
- Dinorant - Created by in the Chaos Machine (using 10 Unillias and one Jewel of Chaos), the Dinorant is like a combination of the other three guardian items; it allows the wearer to run at the same speed as a uniria and use the impale skill, absorbs damage like an angel and increases damage dealt like an Imp. It may have extra options, like additional speed, more damage absorption and AG increase. It also allows the character to enter Icarus, as an alternative to wings. It comes with a DK-exclusive Raid skill, the only ranged skill a DK can use.
- Fenrir (Black, Blue or Red) - So far only available in private servers, this pet can be used by all classes, the max level to use them is level 300 the blue ones have a defensive power, the black ones have increase damage power, while the red ones are the normal, they all have a special ability used to hit all monsters in the screen but has a delay each repetitious time.
Pets can be used by a Dark Lord. So far there are three different kind of pets. They are similar to Guardian Items, but they have unique abilities, can be leveled and recover their health.
- Dark Spirit - A raven that can directly attack a target, helping the Dark Lord to fight. It has 4 different stances -- Follow, Auto-attack, Attack with Character and Attack Target. It is mounted on the shield slot on the inventory.
- Dark Horse - A pet that the Dark Lord Rides. It adds the Earthquake skill, which hits all monsters on the screen, increases moving speed beyond even that of wings and provides defense and damage bonuses. Dark Horses are equipped in the same slot as Guardian items.
- Fenrir - A pet similar to the Dark Lord's horse. These creatures can be equipped by every class. This pet has two area of effect spells. Currently unavailable in Global Mu Online.
- Scroll of Town Portal - Using this item you'll be sent back to the map's default safe zone. An alternative to warping for low level characters and Outlaws.
- Healing Potions - These will recover your HP.
- Mana Potions - These will recover your MP. When your MP depletes, one potion is used automatically.
- Antidotes - These will cure the effects of poison, a useful item to have when your hp is low.
- Ale - Increases your attack speed by 20 for the next minute. Your character will have a tint of red.
- Arrows - Ammo for Bows. One arrow item can contain up to 255 arrows.
- Crossbow Bolts - Ammo for Crossbows. One crossbolt item can contains up to 255 bolts.
- Fruit – These are made in the Chaos Machine with a Jewel of Creation. There is one type of fruit for each character stat (excluding command), and when used the fruit will increase the appropriate stat by between 1 and 3 points. However the amount of stat points that a character may earn from eating fruits is limited.
These are the second most expensive, rare and useful items on MU. There are 5 different jewels, each one with its own use. According to the story, each of the jewels is a fragment of the sealing stone that held Kundun before it shattered.
- Jewel of Chaos - It lets you combine using the Chaos Machine and is the most common. Combining Chaos with Bless and Soul upgrades your items to +10, +11, +12 and +13, however if fails, you will lose your item. These are used as a form of currency.
- Jewel of Bless - Allows you to upgrade your items up to +6. Its chance of being successful is 100%. This is also a form of currency in Mu.
- Jewel of Soul - Allows you to upgrade your items up to +9. It can also upgrade +0 items, but unlike Bless, this jewel will work only 50% of the time. If the item has luck, this chance increases to 75%. If it fails, however, the item's level may drop by 1 level or if the item is +7 or +8 it will be returned to +0. These are used as a form of currency.
- Jewel of Life - This jewel increases an item's option by 1 level. It is the only way to make an item have a +16 (global) or +28 (private servers) option or a shield have a +20 (global) or +35 (private servers) option. It has a 50% chance of success, regardless of luck, and if it fails, your item will lose its option.
- Jewel of Creation - Combining a Jewel of Creation with a Jewel of Chaos may create a fruit. This fruit, when eaten, will boost one of your stats by 1-3 points. This used to be the rarest jewel in Mu until the Chaos Castle event started, where it's a common winning prize.
- Jewel of Guardian - The Jewel of Guardian is used during the Castle Siege to create life stones and for the Lord's Mix.
- Bless & Soul potions- Special potions created while putting a bless or soul in chaos machine. Can only be used in Castle siege.
- Loch's feather - While not exactly a jewel, it is a rare item that is used in the Chaos Machine to create second level wings.
These are rare items dropped only by Golden Mobs (monsters). To open a box and find out what is inside it, it must be dropped from the player's inventory onto the ground. It could drop zen, a good regular item (+4/+5 +option and maybe +luck), an excellent item, or nothing. The boxes currently implemented are Boxes of Luck, Heaven (private servers only), and Kundun. A Box of Kundun will have a level associated with it, ranging from +1 to +5, that determines the reward.
According to Box of Kundun mob drops:
- Box of Kundun +1 - Golden Goblin (Lorencia and Noria)
- Box of Kundun +2 - Taikon (in devias Golden Dragon)
- Box of Kundun +3 - Golden Dragon (Lorencia, Devias, and Noria)
- Box of Kundun +4 - Golden Lizards (Atlans)
- Box of Kundun +5 - Golden Tantallos (Tarkan)
Blood Castle is an event where players must recover a fallen angel's weapon at the end of the castle. Players in the event progress through different stages of the castle, including killing a certain amount of monsters and destroying a gate and a statue. When the statue is destroyed, the fallen angel's weapon will be recovered, and should be returned to the fallen angel. Once it is returned, the player who returned it will be rewarded with two Jewels of Chaos, some zen and some experience.
Devil Square can be entered by talking to Charon on Noria. It is divided into either four or seven different stages. The stage that a character must enter depends on its level. Once this event starts, many monsters will continually spawn and slowly wander around aimlessly. The goal of this event is to survive for 20 minutes while killing monsters to score points and obtain experience.
Chaos Castle is an event where all the competing players are placed against each other along with some monsters in a free-for-all deathmatch. To enter, armor of the guard must be purchased form a shop. when a notice apears that chaos castle is about to start you can click the armor and it will send you to chaos castle you must pay a fee to enter depending on your level
All of the participating players will appear to be wearing the same armor, and each class will appear to be wielding identical weapons, but their inventories won't actually be altered in any way. Once Chaos Castle has started, it will fill up with look-alike monsters until it contains 100 characters. While the players are fighting, the castle will start to perish and break up from the sides, doing so until there are only around six player squares left. There is a risk of falling down the abyss if a monster dies near a player. In order to complete the event, a player must survive through the event and eliminate all of the other participants. The winner may receive a prize of jewels or rare items.
Also rumor has it that all of the zen acumulated from players who enterd the castle is rewarded to a random player (some rumors say that only half the zen is rewarded to the player)
The Castle Siege event takes place in the Valley of Loren. The castle may be ruled by a guild, and if any guild wants, they can lay siege to the castle in an attempt to win possession of it. However, the siege isn’t easy, as the castle is protected by the “home guild” characters and soldiers. This is the "Epic of Loren" quest (the Castle Siege). This is considered to be one of the most amazing parts of MU, and excites all of its users.
The lord of the castle can rule the castle when event starts. He can buy additional troops (archer or spearman) which are NPC's and fight the enemy automatically. The attacking guild also has a few tricks up its sleeve; they can bring special potions for faster attacking and more damage. However the main quest in this event is to defend the castle by defeating the enemy and to not let the attacking guild to destroy the statues of castle. When the statues are destroyed, the attacking guild can easily take the castle and the defenders will lose.
At the time of this event, The Crywolf Fortress change from a safe zone to a battle zone. Everyone in the server cluster is allowed to participate. The characters have to fight against waves of mosters that try to destroy the 5 pillar around the Crystal Wolf Statue. In this event, 5 level 350 or higher muse elves protect and give power to pillars, while the other characters defend against the monsters that enter into the fortress.
Golden Troop Invasion
Some special types of monsters don't have precise spawning points and appear occasionally within the game. These monsters are golden in appearance and are much stronger than the regular non-golden types. Rare treasures will be dropped when they are defeated. Two common golden monsters are Golden Budge Dragons and Golden Goblins. The former drop Boxes of Luck and the latter drop Boxes of Kundun +1. Both of these monsters can only show up in Lorencia, Noria or Devias. There is also a Golden Titan that spawns in Devias, Golden Drakan that spawns in Lorencia, Noria or Devias, Golden Lizard King that spawns in Atlans and a Golden Tantallos that spawns in Tarkan. They drop Boxes of Kundun +2, +3, +4 and +5 respectively. Also appears other Golden monsters like the Golden Soldier Troop, but these monsters don't drop Boxes of Kundun, only items or zen.
White Wizard Invasion
These are events where a giant wizard and an army of orcs appear at random locations in Devias, Noria and Lorencia. Killing the White Wizard earns you a Jewel of Bless and having your name displayed on the screen. Orcs may drop either 100,000 zen or the Ring of Wizard, which increases attack speed and damage.
Server Specific Events
Sometimes a server may run an in-game event for fun. In some cases, special monsters created especially for these events will show up on certain maps, often carrying valuable items. The events that take place depend entirely on the administrators and Game Masters of a server.
- ^ http://www.globalmuonline.com/game_notices.php?n=5 MuOnline pay to play plans
Official game websites
- Official Mu Online Global Website
- Official Mu Online Philippine English Website
- Official Mu Online Korean Website (Korean)
- Official Mu Online Vietnam Website (Vietnam)
- MuHQ - Mu Online Fansite & Community
- Mu Online Center (French)
- Mu Online at GameFAQs
- Mu Online Tutorial
- Polish Tutorial and global news in polish language